Tax Deductions for Assemblers


Putting things together for a living, and creating a fully-functional product can feel like a great achievement. Getting paid for doing something you like is great, and it's even better when you utilize tax deductions to save money come tax season. As an assembler who works for a company, you can expect to receive a Form W-2 from your employer, which will list your wages and withholding for the tax year.

Certain job related expenses can be deducted, reducing the amount you owe in taxes. You can claim these deductions on a Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, when you file your tax return. These types of deductions are subject to 2% limited miscellaneous itemized deductions requirements. You should be able to prove your expenses with documentation and receipts.

Some examples of work-related expenses you can deduct:

  • Trade publication and journal subscriptions
  • Union dues
  • Steel-toed boots and other personal safety equipment

Should you need certain educational courses, you may be able to deduct expenses for these classes if they meet specific requirements in relation to your job. Vocational courses, refresher classes, and any classes regarding new developments in your field generally qualify for deduction. However, if the class allows you to meet the minimum requirement for your job, or qualifies you for a new career it is not deductible.