Tax Deductions for Cashiers


Working as a cashier may not seem like a big deal on the surface, but anyone who has been employed as a cashier knows it requires patience, a keen eye for detail, and great money-handling skills. The same is true at tax time when you're filing your return. Cashiers can expect to receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which states all the necessary information for filing your tax return, including total income and withholdings such as income tax, Medicare, and Social Security.

You can reduce your tax liability by claiming deductions for expenses incurred as a cashier. These deductions are claimed as a miscellaneous deduction on a Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, and are subject to a 2% limitation of your adjusted gross income. Union dues and subscription fees for trade magazines are just two examples of deductions you can claim.

Certain educational expenses are deductible if they meet specific requirements. In most cases, vocational classes, refresher courses, and classes on new developments. If the education qualifies you for another job, or helps you meet the minimum requirements for your cashier job, then it can't be deductible.