Tax Deductions for Custodians


Cleaning and organizing are a vital part of a custodial job. You'll need to pass your attention to detail onto your tax return in order to get the best savings. You can claim deductions for certain unreimbursed, job-related expenses. If you work for one company on a regular basis, and are considered and employee, you can expect to receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which will list your wages and salaries as well as any withholdings taken, including Social Security and Medicare. If you receive compensation for services you provide outside of your regular employment, you'll have to report this income on a Schedule C, Profit and Loss from Business, as you are considered self-employed. You may be classified as self-employed if you provide your own supplies and set your own schedule.

All earnings reported on a Schedule C that are greater than $400 are subject to self-employment tax. You may need to make quarterly estimated tax payments to cover the tax on the amount you report.

Certain job-related expenses that haven't been reimbursed may be deductible on a Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. Self-employed custodians deduct expenses directly on their Schedule C. Some examples of things you may be able to deduct include:

  • Fees for licenses or bonds
  • Supplies you provide, like cleaning solutions
  • Cost and upkeep of uniforms, provided they are not suitable for everyday streetwear, and are required.
  • Be sure to keep all your receipts in order to document your expenses.