Tax Deductions for Customer Service Representatives

Customer Service

No matter what your business, it likely relies on customers. That's why if you work as a customer service representative, you're an essential part of your business base. You're responsible for delivering high customer satisfaction by interacting with the business's greatest asset. At tax time, it's your chance to get the best benefit when you file your return.

You can expect your employer to send you a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which will list your salary and income, as well as any withholdings taken. You can reduce your tax liability by claiming deductions on unreimbursed, job-related expenses. You'll have to keep receipts of the expenses, to serve as documentation.

Some expenses you may be able to deduct include:

  • Union dues or membership fees to professional affiliations
  • Regulatory fees, licenses, and flat-rate occupational taxes imposed by state or local government, as long as they are not for initial certification.
  • Subscription fees for job-related publications and journals

Educational expenses may be deductible if they meet certain requirements. Typically, refresher courses, vocational classes, and courses teaching current developments are deductible. However, classes that qualify you for a new job, or help you to meet the minimum requirements of your job are not deductible. That means you can't deduct medical classes as a customer service representative.