Tax Deductions for Office Workers

Office Worker

There are many titles one can hold while working in an office environment. Whether you are accounting clerk, a date entry specialist, secretary, or administrative assistant, your employer is required to supply a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement at tax time. This form will list your earned income and tax withholdings.

You may be able to lower the amount of taxes you owe if you deduct any job-related expenses that haven't been reimbursed by your employer. You'll need receipts and other documentation for any of these expenses, to serve as proof in the event of an audit.

Common expense deductions for office workers include:

  • Regulatory fees required by state or local governments
  • Flat rate occupation taxes
  • Licensing fees
  • Professional association dues
  • Supply and equipment expenses replaceable within the year
  • Subscriptions to publications related to your industry.

You may also be able to deduct education expenses for certain courses or seminars pertaining to your job. The courses have to meet certain requirements in order to be deductible, and generally include refresher courses, classes on new developments int eh field, and vocational courses. If you took the class in order to meet a minimum requirement for your job, it will not be deductible. Neither will any courses or education which qualify you for a different position or new career.